Friday, August 26, 2022

Her Name is Neema

Nothing imparts more excitement to a doll line than the introduction of a new character. For what would Barbie do without Midge? Or Gene without Madra? Or Tyler without Sydney? (We are unabashedly dropping first names, here, we know).

Ellowyne Wilde is not an exception. Back in 2006, when she debuted as the star on Wilde Imagination's cast, Ellowyne Wilde opened up a world where ennui, earthquake faults and vintage clothing store finds melded; a richly defined enclave that would soon be inhabited by an eclectic cast of characters: Prudence, Amber, Rufus, Lizette, and Penn. Fast forward to 2022, and Ellowyne, enjoying a much deserved renaissance, is ready to get her ongoing storyline rolling. And it will come to happen on August 26-28 at Virtual Doll Convention's upcoming "Better Together" Pop-Up event where Neema, Ellowyne's new acquaintance (is she friend or foe?) will be presented by Robert Tonner and Rachel Hoffman.

The event will have both live and virtual components so that every interested collector may partake of the fun. 

Dolldom was honored to produce photography as well as copy and poetry to accompany the introductory line of Neema, all of which we share with you in this exclusive entry. 

"Life's a Beach"

The sea, the sun!
I love the fun
Of going to the seashore.
As water sparkles
And seagulls circle,
I gaze at all the blue.
My hair is dancing,
In the breeze prancing!
The beach! I just adore!
Whenever someone’s sad I’ll say:
“Come on, oh, love, what’s up?
Bring that pretty chin-up!
A little joy’s within our reach
Cause, baby, ‘Life’s a Beach!’”







Behold the utterly fabulous “Life’s a Beach” basic Neema! Basic, you say? We are not sure of that! Neema’s long, luxuriously soft, wavy hair looks windblown and is perfect for creative styling. Neema’s short and ever-so-sassy sky-blue and white striped romper boasts three to-scale decorative buttons down the front, a cotton canvas belt with gold tone buckle, and white high-heeled sandals. Long, flirty eyelashes add even more depth to Neema’s sable-colored eyes.

"Straight and Narrow"

The urban vibe,
I feel alive
While greeting all my neighbors.
That’s how I get to craft my art,
My people are my inspiration.
I love to walk the bustling streets
Of my beloved community.
As I pass by, in this cool style,
I hear ten enthusiastic bravos.
I turn to wave and with a smile
Exclaim: “I’m wearing ‘Straight and Narrow!’
Take not all glam aficionados!"







Cause a girl has every right to rock the block, “Straight and Narrow” Neema arrives in a coral soft-as-silk cotton-knit jumper that’s hugging her every curve. An ultra-versatile light pink long sleeved turtleneck lets Neema keep her cool in case it turns chilly, while her fire-engine red, high heeled, lace-up boots communicate that Neema is going places. Big gold tone hoops add restrained bling. “Straight and Narrow” Neema debuts a rooted plaited hairstyle boasting wires in each braid, an open invitation for hair play! Eyelashes, long and dark, finish the urban vibe look.

"Shining Example"

An invitation with gold seal read:
“You are most cordially invited.”
Quite an event, but what to wear?
I surely wish to sparkle!
Sequins of gold, beads caramel,
Like magic gems shine on my dress!
In such fashion effervescence
The room I enter, prideful.
My hostess smiles, revelers rise
I’m a “Shining Example”.







Evocative of Yves Saint Laurent’s Spring-Summer 1967 African Collection, “Shining Example” Neema is a sight to behold and a must in any fashion doll collection! A silk little black dress peeks from underneath a sensationally luxurious black net overdress embroidered with abandon in copper and honey-colored sequins and beads. Statement-making beaded necklaces and bracelets augment the glow, while sexy black faux patent leather boots play foil to this fashion extravaganza. Marcel waves and soft curls create a hairstyle sophisticated yet playful. Black eyelashes emphasize the serenity of Neema’s gaze.

"Charmed, I'm Sure" 

The nighttime sky, all velvet black,
Enveloped stars like diamonds.
An evening grand and magical
Began with music classical.
I needed no crown in my regal gown.
It was an evening enchanted!
Aside, I watched dance and romance
Of partiers in luscious velour
When suddenly, a voice demure
Surprised me with: “‘Charmed, I Am Sure’,
A gem, your gown, of haute couture!”






Unadulterated and undiluted glamour is what “Charmed, I’m Sure” Neema is all about. And to be frank, we were not expecting anything but from the creative mind of Robert Tonner for his very first Neema doll in a formal gown. The one-shoulder bodice of silk shantung is appliquéd with embroidered and beaded lace. A billowing skirt of cut-to-look-like-feathers yarn adds textural balance and is made for dancing the evening away! Pink net gauntlet gloves receive the same embroidered and beaded appliqued treatment as the bodice. Pendant earrings of pink-champagne faceted beads drop elegantly from Neema’s ears. Two braided buns crown the side-gathered, long haired rooted hairstyle. Velvety-black eyelashes, of course!

"Charmed, I'm Sure" (Ellowyne's version)

Those who know my ennui,
My moods, and all my sighing,
Are quite aware that I find peace
Indulging in high fashion remedies!
Last evening was the opposite
Of alleviating sadness, for at the ball
What do I see? My gown, its exact likeness!
But not reflected on a mirror grand
But rather on another partier!
The fear of feeling ridiculed,
For this was not on April Fools’,
Hastened my Cinderella’s exit!
My host, confused and most surprised
“‘Charmed? I’m Sure’” in haste inquired.
With tears cascading, I did reply:
“I wish I were, my dear sire,
But every time that I see double
Most surely means I’ll get in trouble!”



“Charmed, I’m Sure” Ellowyne’s Version
Just like her Neema counterpart, “Charmed, I’m Sure” Ellowyne is the epitome of glamorous dressing. Robert Tonner’s idea for his very first Neema doll in a formal gown is built on a dramatic storyline that calls for Ellowyne to arrive at the ball wearing the same gown with one-shoulder bodice of silk shantung appliquéd with embroidered and beaded lace and billowing skirt of cut-to-look-like-feathers yarn. Pink net gauntlet gloves receive the same embroidered and beaded appliqued treatment as the bodice. Pendant earrings of pink-champagne faceted beads cascade from Ellowyne’s ears like her tears later will. Two braided buns crown the side-gathered, long haired rooted hairstyle. Velvety-black eyelashes frame her soon-to-be-wet eyes. The drama!




It's not every day that such a luxurious line with a new fashion doll character is offered to collectors. Kudos to Robert Tonner and Rachel Hoffman for realizing this dream doll project. Make sure that you bookmark Virtual Doll Convention's Ellowyne Boutique. 


 

1 comment:

  1. What gorgeous dolls, getting the spectacular Dolldom treatment.

    ReplyDelete